“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” -Jesus (Matthew 6:19-21)
Jim Elliot embodied these words from Jesus. He lived with a reckless abandon for the sake of the gospel. Jim was speared to death by natives in Ecuador, January 8, 1956. He, and others, died at the hands of those they so deeply desired to reach with the hope of the gospel. His life was cut seemingly short on earth, but his reward is great in heaven. Also, his work was carried on by others including his widow, Elisabeth Elliot. You can read the inspiring story in her book ‘Through the Gates of Splendor’. Also, there was a movie made about these events entitled The End of the Spear. I own it if you’d like to borrow it. I recently watched it with a group of high school and college students, they agreed it was inspiring, encouraging, and sobering to the Christian heart.
I’ll leave you with 10 great quotes from Jim Elliot, a man who stored treasure in heaven. May they aid us in gaining an eternal perspective ourselves.
- “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
- “God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with him.”
- “Wherever you are – be all there.”
- “I many no longer depend on pleasant impulses to bring me before the Lord. I must rather response to principles I know to be right, whether I feel them to be enjoyable or not.”
- “The will of God is always a bigger thing than we bargain for, but we must believe that whatever it involves, it is good, acceptable and perfect.”
- “Lord, make my way prosperous not that I achieve high station, but that my life be an exhibit to the value of knowing God.”
- “I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you Lord Jesus.”
- “I couldn’t have asked for more than God in deliberate grace has surprised me with!”
- “When it comes time to die, make sure that all you have to do is die.”
- “Lord, give me firmness without hardness, steadfastness without dogmatism, love without weakness.”